The High Court, Human Rights Division 1, has dismissed independent candidate, Kofi Koranteng’s claims against the Electoral Commission.
Mr. Koranteng went to Court to challenge the Electoral Commission’s decision to disqualify him from the 2020 presidential poll.
He had told the court that the Commission gave him a window of opportunity to re-submit the defective portions of his nomination forms; which he took and re-submitted on October 14, 2020.
He, therefore, expected that the Commission would have given him a fair and reasonable treatment as mandated by article 23 of the 1992 Constitution.
He insisted that the Electoral Commission violated his rights as protected by the Constitution.
The EC’s legal team led by Justine Amenuvor had earlier categorically denied the assertion by the applicant that the EC gave a window of opportunity for him to re-submit his corrected forms.
According to him, the regulations required all applicants to file and if any anomalies are detected, they are corrected within the stipulated period.
He told the court that nomination for all candidates was opened on October 5 and closed on October 9.
He said the applicant’s claim that he resubmitted his form on October 14 puts him out of time.
The court, presided over by Her Ladyship Gifty Addo on Monday, November 30, 2020, found that Mr. Koranteng by his own admission had committed infractions in the process and that the Electoral Commission (EC) had not acted unreasonably.
Meanwhile, Mr. Koranteng says he has been sabotaged.